Re: perl5.git.perl.org gitweb shortlog problem

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 21, 2016 13:41
Re: perl5.git.perl.org gitweb shortlog problem
Message ID:
CA+vYcVzjeugh5dgwLBvZA2Ck0=9kQPuE9ZiPrHPiRwi20_4GpA@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Dennis Kaarsemaker
<dennis@kaarsemaker.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 09:38 -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 3:58 AM, Dennis Kaarsemaker
>> <dennis@kaarsemaker.net> wrote:
>> > Git automatically gets upgraded there, but gitweb not as there are some
>> > customizations in it.
>> >
>> > Smells like a compatibility issue between new git and old gitweb. I
>> > downgraded git, and it works again. Will poke at it a bit more later
>> > this week.
>>
>> Looks like this happened again.  Has anyone looked into making our
>> customized gitweb behave with current git?
>
> This was caused by me trying to get to the bottom of this. In the
> process I managed to modify our customizations so gitweb can always be
> upgraded with git (yay!).
>
> Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. Turns out to be a bug in git, for
> which I have now sent a patch to the git mailinglist.
> http://public-inbox.org/git/1476908699.26043.9.camel@kaarsemaker.net/

Yikes.  Sometimes it's a lot of work to send the blame upstream :-).
Thanks for taking care of this.

> Should all be hunky dory again, and once this is fixed I will upgrade
> git and gitweb.

Speaking of blame, will git blame return to gitweb when you upgrade,
or is that too prone to getting your server clobbered?