[perl #129235] Reduce SelectSaver memory footprint

From:
Sawyer X via RT
Date:
October 11, 2016 13:08
Subject:
[perl #129235] Reduce SelectSaver memory footprint
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-28324-1476191291-590.129235-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Oct 07 14:02:46 2016, jkeenan wrote:
> There has been no further discussion in this RT since Sep 15.  While
> there was a lot of discussion of larger issues, no one picked up the
> ball and ran with it.  So, so as not to leave the OP hanging, I
> applied the patch with committer's corrections in commit
> 26d58bfed57736ec1e1f1dfd579484f8b6fcccd7.

I think this should be reverted.

Carp.pm is required to report errors. If you cannot load Carp, you will not be able to lazily load Carp, which means you cannot load the error module to report the error of loading a module. It's a circular problem.

To repeat rgs' comments above:

If you, for example, run out of file descriptors, you will not be able to load additional modules. This means that if SelectSaver.pm has an error in new(), it will not be able to load Carp and report it.

Modules for reporting errors should be available when you need to load errors, unless you can be assured that you will be able to load them.

I would be happy if there could be more discussion on that point, but it fell through the cracks. Therefore, I would like this ticket reopened, the patch reverted, and - if the patch submitter is still interested - an explanation addressing this point of problem still standing.

Thanks! :)

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: resolved