Re: Intermittent failures in 'make' at "Updating 'mktables.lst'"

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 1, 2016 04:11
Re: Intermittent failures in 'make' at "Updating 'mktables.lst'"
Message ID:
d0941bb6-855f-76d7-7b35-12b282ac95b9@khwilliamson.com
On 09/30/2016 02:03 PM, James E Keenan wrote:
> On 09/08/2016 11:43 AM, Karl Williamson wrote:
>> On 09/04/2016 01:51 PM, James E Keenan wrote:
>>> Occasionally, when building blead or a branch directly derived from
>>> blead, I experience a failure during 'make' at this point:
>>>
>>> #####
>>> Writing tables
>>> Making pod file
>>> Making test script
>>> Updating 'mktables.lst'
>>> 1 error
>>>
>>> make: stopped in /usr/home/jkeenan/gitwork/perl
>>> #####
>>>
>>> To simply be told that there was an error and that 'make' therefore
>>> stopped is not very informative.
>>>
>>> The first time this happened -- the two times I can recall were both on
>>> a FreeBSD 10.3 VM -- I then called 'make' and something that was clearly
>>> a syntax error eventually emerged.
>>>
>>> Today, when I called 'make' after the error message above, 'make'
>>> resumed and completed successfully -- i.e., no error and no indication
>>> why I 'make' stopped the first time through.
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to reproduce this error.  Has anyone else
>>> experienced this?
>>
>> As far as I recollect, mktables itself should always try to output an
>> error message if it itself discovers an error.  I have experienced
>> intermittent failures in writing the tables, but none with the exact
>> symptoms you describe.  This used to happen a lot, actually, on one of
>> Tux's machines.  He and I were trying to debug it together, getting
>> closer and closer, and suddenly it stopped occurring.  We pieced
>> together that what had happened was that he had rebased, and had picked
>> up a commit that fixed the problem.  It was a Dave Mitchell commit, and
>> the bug it fixed was in the I/O portion of the interpreter.  I do see
>> something very occasionally since then, so it is some race in the I/O, I
>> guess.  I haven't looked for this in a while, but it did appear that
>> often when this happened, the TestProp.pl file had been slightly
>> scrambled, but usually the garbage was in a comment at the beginning and
>> had no effect on the file's operation.  I have had it fail in writing
>> mktables.lst too, and don't remember now who I got past it, except to
>> retry.
>>
>> If this is happening with any regularity, you could try running it under
>> valgrind (do this in the background so you don't have to wait seemingly
>> forever), and see what happens.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>> Jim Keenan
>>>

> khw: ISTR that we had some discussion subsequent to these posts,
> probably on #p5p, about this 'mktables.lst' problem.  IASTR testing
> repeated builds on my FreeBSD-10.3 VM, but beyond that I don't recall
> the upshot of that discussion.
>
> In any event, today I went to smoke-test petdance's numeric.c changes on
> my FreeBSD-10.3 VM, and I got the problem again:
>
> #####
> Writing tables
> Making pod file
> [...]

I don't recall any further conversation, nor do I have any more info
than what you quoted above.  When you did 'make' again, did it recompile
mktables?  I wonder what '7 errors' means