develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

[perl #129027] null pointer deref Perl_mess_sv (util.c:1508)

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 25, 2016 21:14
Subject:
[perl #129027] null pointer deref Perl_mess_sv (util.c:1508)
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-8053-1472159633-1162.129027-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Aug 25 13:43:19 2016, sprout wrote:
> I do wonder, though, whether we should be adding more conditions to
> normal code for the sake of debugging code.  That said, errors and
> warnings are certainly not hot code, so your fix, the simpler fix, is
> probably fine.

This jogged my memory a bit....

When I added -DS, I did wonder whether it was appropriate to use SV-using diagnostic code for such low-level functionality.  I decided not to worry about it, since I doubted that anyone would be using that option except during the first few months after the op slab allocator was added.

It seems that the misgivings that I ignored were correct.  I do think a more appropriate fix would be to change DEBUG_S_warn in op.c to be smarter and bypass mess_sv and anything SVish.  It’s more work though.

Fixing anything related to -D is certainly not high priority.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open