develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

Re: Alternative Fix for base.pm dot-in-INC mechanic.

From:
Todd E Rinaldo
Date:
Re: Alternative Fix for base.pm dot-in-INC mechanic.
Message ID:
C6B5D744-B916-4CF5-955F-9D94E5808D52@cpanel.net

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 5:10 PM, Father Chrysostomos <sprout@cpan.org> wrote:
>
> Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>> The changes being made to base.pm seem to have proven to have a high
>> risk of being an API change. This kinda makes it inappropriate for a
>> maintenance release. Assuming we have an alternative plan for 5.24 and
>> forward, I recommend we simply hi-light the risk of using base and NOT
>> fix it.
>>
>> IMO, There's nothing wrong with saying "there's a risk here" and leaving
>> it to other's to assess and mitigate the risk in their own way on legacy
>> Perl.
>
> Are you suggesting that we revert the changes to base.pm in the maint
> branches back to what 5.24.0 shipped with (no '.' handling)?

Yes but only the base.pm changes. I'm not aware of any other changes being as risky?

Todd