develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

Re: Alternative Fix for base.pm dot-in-INC mechanic.

From:
Michael Schroeder
Date:
Re: Alternative Fix for base.pm dot-in-INC mechanic.
Message ID:
20160824202325.GA30378@suse.de
> The changes being made to base.pm seem to have proven to have a high risk of being an API change. This kinda makes it inappropriate for a maintenance release. Assuming we have an alternative plan for 5.24 and forward, I recommend we simply hi-light the risk of using base and NOT fix it.

Note also that the new error message does not help much. There
are two cases to consider:

 1) %{"$base\::"} is empty
    This is where the error message is printed. But this is also
    where we know that it is not an optional module load, so we
    might as well leave '.' in @INC and don't break things.

 2) %{"$base\::"} is not empty
    This is the problematic case. We do not know if this is an
    optional or mandatory module load. *BUT* this is also the
    case where the code does not die if the module is not found,
    so removing '.' from @INC may lead to some weird and hard to
    debug error later on.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder                                   mls@suse.de
SUSE LINUX GmbH,           GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg