develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

Re: Alternative Fix for base.pm dot-in-INC mechanic.

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
Re: Alternative Fix for base.pm dot-in-INC mechanic.
Message ID:
20160824141011.8696.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> The changes being made to base.pm seem to have proven to have a high
> risk of being an API change. This kinda makes it inappropriate for a
> maintenance release. Assuming we have an alternative plan for 5.24 and
> forward, I recommend we simply hi-light the risk of using base and NOT
> fix it.
>
> IMO, There's nothing wrong with saying "there's a risk here" and leaving
> it to other's to assess and mitigate the risk in their own way on legacy
> Perl.

Are you suggesting that we revert the changes to base.pm in the maint
branches back to what 5.24.0 shipped with (no '.' handling)?

That is a viable option.  Either that or Aristotle's proposed way of
mitigating the damage that the current situation is causing.  But what
we have currently is too problematic.