develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

Re: [perl #84578] Bug report: error with \L, \l, \U and \u operators

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
Re: [perl #84578] Bug report: error with \L, \l, \U and \u operators
Message ID:
38d2dd8b-dee8-bf3b-a195-f42410c9eb8a@khwilliamson.com
On 08/15/2016 03:54 PM, Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
> On Mon Aug 15 12:00:59 2016, public@khwilliamson.com wrote:
>> In thinking about it lately, I:
>>
>> a) wonder if we should create a single ticket for this, including \Q,
>> and merge all the other tickets into it.
>
> I think we actually have two separate issues here.  This ticket is about \L\l\U\u etc. not ‘nesting’ consistently (sometimes nesting; sometimes not; sometimes implicitly transposed).
>

>> b) note that the regex pattern results diverge from the double-quoted
>> string results, and the latter is more sane; so that the regex code
>> should be made to work more like the double-quoted code.
>>
>> $ blead -le 'print qr/\L\ABCD/'
>> (?^:\abcd)
>>
>> silently turns what probably was meant to be the assertion \A into a
>> BELL character.
>
> And this is a *separate* issue; namely, that regular expressions do not apply character escapes and case modifiers in the same order.
>
> They do not have to be fixed at the same time.

Perhaps not, but any decision will need to consider the effects on the
totality of the language