develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

[perl #84578] Bug report: error with \L, \l, \U and \u operators

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 15, 2016 21:54
Subject:
[perl #84578] Bug report: error with \L, \l, \U and \u operators
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-1503-1471298060-1541.84578-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Aug 15 12:00:59 2016, public@khwilliamson.com wrote:
> In thinking about it lately, I:
>
> a) wonder if we should create a single ticket for this, including \Q,
> and merge all the other tickets into it.

I think we actually have two separate issues here.  This ticket is about \L\l\U\u etc. not ‘nesting’ consistently (sometimes nesting; sometimes not; sometimes implicitly transposed).

> b) note that the regex pattern results diverge from the double-quoted
> string results, and the latter is more sane; so that the regex code
> should be made to work more like the double-quoted code.
>
> $ blead -le 'print qr/\L\ABCD/'
> (?^:\abcd)
>
> silently turns what probably was meant to be the assertion \A into a
> BELL character.

And this is a *separate* issue; namely, that regular expressions do not apply character escapes and case modifiers in the same order.

They do not have to be fixed at the same time.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open