develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

Re: [perl #128800] base.pm broken in Perl 5.24.1 rc2

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
Re: [perl #128800] base.pm broken in Perl 5.24.1 rc2
Message ID:
CA+vYcVzPeT7kkgbff-=Lpi+qsioHx_8VpZZKbC27WGBtVnyshg@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Chris Travers via RT
<perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> Removing . from @INC would frankly cause fewer problems than this modification to base.pm.

That wasn't the conclusion of the extensive discussions that have
considered that alternative as well as most of the other recommended
courses of action you suggest.  I believe most of what's publicly
available is at
<https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=127810>.

I expect some version of removing '.' from @INC will happen (probably
optional at first).  Removal by default right now would have far more
dire consequences than you realize.

As far as things that can go wrong with base.pm being too subtle,
we're doing our best to make the error messages more informative.
Feel free to follow along at
<http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/history/HEAD:/dist/base/lib/base.pm>.