develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2016

[perl #128788] Can't turn off "does not map to Unicode" warnings

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 2, 2016 04:55
Subject:
[perl #128788] Can't turn off "does not map to Unicode" warnings
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-32006-1470113703-543.128788-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Aug 01 08:49:14 2016, sprout wrote:
> On Mon Aug 01 08:06:00 2016, xsawyerx@cpan.org wrote:
> > Considering this is an upstream CPAN module, I think we should close
> > this.
>
> I have confirmed that it is a problem with Encode and have just opened
> <https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=116629>.

Oh, wait.  I had my one-line diagnostic patch still applied to my local perl repo and ran the tests.  I got these failures:

#   Failed test 'FB_WARN message utf8'
#   at t/fallback.t line 110.
#                   ''
#     doesn't match '(?^:does not map to Unicode)'

#   Failed test 'WARN_ON_ERR message ascii'
#   at t/fallback.t line 124.
#     doesn't match '(?^:does not map to Unicode)'
# Looks like you failed 2 tests of 50.

which suggests to me that PerlIO::encoding (which is core-only) may well be asking for warnings without checking hints.

I think this is something that needs looking into, so I am reopening the ticket.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: rejected