[perl #128782] perlport hard to read with platform names followingfunction description

From:
l . mai @ web . de
Date:
July 30, 2016 21:37
Subject:
[perl #128782] perlport hard to read with platform names followingfunction description
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-17759-1469914633-523.128782-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  l.mai@web.de
# Please include the string:  [perl #128782]

perldoc perlport:

| Listed below are functions that are either completely unimplemented
| or else have been implemented differently on various platforms.
| Following each description will be, in parentheses, a list of
| platforms that the description applies to.

Note: "Following each description ...".

As an example ('system'):

| The return value is POSIX-like (shifted up by 8 bits), which only
| allows room for a made-up value derived from the severity bits of
| the native 32-bit condition code (unless overridden by "use vmsish
| 'status'"). If the native condition code is one that has a POSIX
| value encoded, the POSIX value will be decoded to extract the
| expected exit value. For more details see "$?" in perlvms. (VMS)

You have to read and understand the whole paragraph before finding out that it may be irrelevant to you at the end ("(VMS)").

I think it would be better if the list of platforms preceded each paragraph.