Re: The great pl2bat unification

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: The great pl2bat unification
Message ID:
CAHhgV8hzj74=nMO316eh7UXsNvTu=aJtQzURKdJkqgjwCOXkPA@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <
ilmari@ilmari.org> wrote:

> Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> writes:
>
> > Leon Timmermans wrote:
> >>Does this sound like a plan? Any feedback/objections?
> >
> > I approve of the factoring.  But isn't there a rule that ::Tiny modules
> > aren't allowed to depend on anything non-core?
>
> It's not so much a rule as a guideline.  Module::Build::Tiny depends on
> several non-core modules already, including ExtUtils::Helpers,
> ExtUtils::InstallPaths and ExtUtils::Config.

Actually I always planned to make Module::Build use ::Config and
::InstallPaths (they're essentially extracted logic) and thus add them to
core, but then Module::Build was kicked out of core. I do plan to eliminate
::Helpers eventually, it was always a kludge :-/.

> > If you're to obey that, it implies that ExtUtils::PL2Bat would have to
> > be cored, which would not otherwise be required.  I don't think we've
> > ever used this as a justification for coring a module before.  Would
> > it have been cored anyway?
>
> This was answered in the original email:
>
> >> I'm planning to convert all three users in reverse order (first MBT,
> >> then MB, and then pl2bat). The last step would obviously mean it
> >> would become included in the core distribution.
>
> pl2bat is win32/bin/pl2bat.pl

Yeah I should have been clearer about that, pl2bat is in core (and only in
core), and is used in MakeMaker and when building perl itself on Windows.

Leon