[perl #128747] base/lex test 41 failure under "make minitest" insome platforms

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
July 27, 2016 13:17
Subject:
[perl #128747] base/lex test 41 failure under "make minitest" insome platforms
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-2668-1469625468-332.128747-15-0@perl.org
On Wed Jul 27 04:44:43 2016, jhi wrote:
> This one test in line 191 of t/base/lex.t
>
> T('^main:\(eval \d+\):6$', $test++);
>
> fails in some (not all) platforms under "make minitest" like this

> t/base/lex ..................... FAILED at test 41
> Failed a basic test (base/lex.t) under minitest -- cannot continue.
>
> (all other tests in the file pass) or if run explicitly like this:
>
> (cd t && ./perl -Ilib TEST -v base/lex.t)
> ok 40
> # main:(eval 7):4 vs /^main:\(eval \d+\):6$/
> not ok 41
> FAILED at test 41
> Failed a basic test (base/lex.t) under minitest -- cannot continue.
>
> So the difference is two source code lines.
>
> What is mystifying is two things:
>
> (1) the test fails only on a seemingly random selection of platforms:
> AIX 5 on PPC, Debian on PPC, and Solaris on Sparc.  While passing fine
> on e.g. Solaris on x86, and Ubuntu on x86.  [*]
>
> (2) the test has been there from time immemorial (Sarathy) -- so
> something recentish on the lexer/parser?  I know for a fact that some
> months ago the test must have been passing, I just haven't done a wide
> testing recently.
>
> [*] The CPU is a red herring, I hope. It just reflects the selection
> of platforms I have access to.  I hope.

I can reproduce this on my old iBook G4 -- Darwin/PPC.  Since I cannot recall ever running 'make minitest' on this machine, I can't say when the problem first appeared.

I'll attach the 'perl -V' for the full build of the commit at which I tested blead as well as the individual test failures.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---