[perl #69208] readline setting $! on success contrary to perlfunc

From:
Dan Collins via RT
Date:
July 21, 2016 19:31
Subject:
[perl #69208] readline setting $! on success contrary to perlfunc
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-12153-1469129509-380.69208-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Sep 25 13:19:21 2009, comdog wrote:
> I've fixed the documentation portion of this in
> 0f03d336cfac20781d0a45d83906fa559a5ecf17.

There are a number of older bugs like this, where someone is checking $! after a call that didn't fail, and is surprised when there's something silly in there. The docs now say that $! is only meaningful immediately after a failure, and in the case of readline, that means it is only meaningful after readline has returned undef.

Closing resolved.

--
Respectfully,
Dan Collins