Re: panic+" Useless assignment to a temporary" errors in some buggycode in blead and other versions - is it a known problem?

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
Re: panic+" Useless assignment to a temporary" errors in some buggycode in blead and other versions - is it a known problem?
Message ID:
20160715191259.3e975dac@telaviv1.shlomifish.org
Hi Father C,

sorry for the late reply. I didn't notice you have replied.

On 7 Jul 2016 04:58:28 -0000
Father Chrysostomos <sprout@cpan.org> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > Useless assignment to a temporary at panic-and-Useless-assignment.pl line
> > > 11. Useless assignment to a temporary at panic-and-Useless-assignment.pl
> > > line 11. panic: attempt to copy value 1 to a freed scalar 1e45c28 at
> > > panic-and-Useless-assignment.pl line 11.
> > > shlomif[ProjEuler]:~$
> > >
> > > and the program exits. Two questions:
> > >
> > > 1. Is it a known problem?
> > >
> > > 2. Why am I getting the warning? I am making use of $ret later on.
> >
> > That does indeed appear to be a bug.  If I change //= to ||=, I can
> > get the panic as far back as 5.8.9 and a crash in 5.8.8.  5.8.7 appears
> > to be fine.
> >
> > So maybe you could consider downgrading to 5.8.7. :-)
> >
> > No, I do not know why it happens.
>
> The usual 'stack not refcounted' bug.

I see. Thanks for the investigation.

Regards,