Re: [perl #38748] qx seems to loose the subpr. way for print/dev/tty

From:
Aaron Crane
Date:
Re: [perl #38748] qx seems to loose the subpr. way for print/dev/tty
Message ID:
CACmk_tvKeKHtiLhUo3tB6F_gZxunJ3LpOBWw2L=vRGA0wfoWfw@mail.gmail.com
Dan Collins via RT <perlbug-comment@perl.org> wrote:
> This ticket badly needs to be reviewed by a Darwin expert. Is there something that we need to work around on this OS? (Can you summarize it and update the ticket name?)

I've tried and failed to reproduce this:

$ uname -sr
Darwin 13.4.0
$ perl -wE 'say $^V'
v5.24.0
$ echo 'puts $tcl_version' | tclsh
8.6
$ cat outer.pl
#! /usr/bin/env perl
while (1) {
    `./inner.tcl -a`;
    sleep 2;
}
$ cat inner.tcl
#! /usr/bin/env tclsh
exec echo foo >/dev/tty
$ chmod +x outer.pl inner.tcl
$ ./outer.pl
foo
foo
foo
^C

It seems to me that whatever bug existed when this ticket was filed a
decade ago has subsequently been fixed, and I suggest this ticket can
therefore be closed now. Alternatively, if the original requestor can
submit complete, self-contained scripts that still reproduce the
problem (the incomplete Tcl program in transaction 131257 merely fails
with a "no such variable" error before it runs anything at all), we
can surely investigate further.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/