[perl #128245] 'perldoc -f open' :encoding clarification

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
July 11, 2016 05:13
Subject:
[perl #128245] 'perldoc -f open' :encoding clarification
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-20756-1468213970-1164.128245-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Jul 10 17:53:55 2016, tonyc wrote:
> On Thu May 26 02:05:06 2016, john.harig@booking.com wrote:
> > An example contained in 'perldoc -f open' states to use :encoding.
> > When running 'perldoc encoding', it goes to a page for the encoding
> > pragma which is deprecated as of 5.18.  However, the 'open' reference
> > is actually to PerlIO::encoding.  To avoid confusion, I have added a
> >  phrase to the 'open' section of perlfunc.pm to avoid confusion.
>
> Besides the problems Jim mentioned, wouldn't something like the
> attached be simpler and clearer (since it's attached directly to the
> example)
>
> Tony

Yes, shorter is better (and clearer!) in this particular case.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open