[perl #128245] 'perldoc -f open' :encoding clarification

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
July 11, 2016 00:54
Subject:
[perl #128245] 'perldoc -f open' :encoding clarification
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-19758-1468198435-1597.128245-15-0@perl.org
On Thu May 26 02:05:06 2016, john.harig@booking.com wrote:
> An example contained in 'perldoc -f open' states to use :encoding.
> When running 'perldoc encoding', it goes to a page for the encoding
> pragma which is deprecated as of 5.18.  However, the 'open' reference
> is actually to PerlIO::encoding.  To avoid confusion, I have added a
>  phrase to the 'open' section of perlfunc.pm to avoid confusion.

Besides the problems Jim mentioned, wouldn't something like the attached be simpler and clearer (since it's attached directly to the example)

Tony

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open