[perl #128588] Tied hash magic ignored in references the first time'round

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
July 10, 2016 00:43
Subject:
[perl #128588] Tied hash magic ignored in references the first time'round
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-27872-1468111379-741.128588-15-0@perl.org
On Sat Jul 09 17:39:29 2016, sprout wrote:
> That said, it can be a real problem (e.g., for your module), so it may
> be worth fixing.
>
> What do others think?

I have a good counterexample.  If you have dumping code that tries to dump data structures without any side effects (including tied vars), it will no longer be able to use ref $ref_to_var_we_are_dumping without potentially calling code.

So we have two use cases competing against each other.  (Perl 5’s data model is wonderful but nuts.)

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open