Re: panic+" Useless assignment to a temporary" errors in some buggycode in blead and other versions - is it a known problem?

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
Re: panic+" Useless assignment to a temporary" errors in some buggycode in blead and other versions - is it a known problem?
Message ID:
20160707043652.2320.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Useless assignment to a temporary at panic-and-Useless-assignment.pl line 11.
> Useless assignment to a temporary at panic-and-Useless-assignment.pl line 11.
> panic: attempt to copy value 1 to a freed scalar 1e45c28 at
> panic-and-Useless-assignment.pl line 11.
> shlomif[ProjEuler]:~$
>
> and the program exits. Two questions:
>
> 1. Is it a known problem?
>
> 2. Why am I getting the warning? I am making use of $ret later on.

That does indeed appear to be a bug.  If I change //= to ||=, I can
get the panic as far back as 5.8.9 and a crash in 5.8.8.  5.8.7 appears
to be fine.

So maybe you could consider downgrading to 5.8.7. :-)

No, I do not know why it happens.