[perl #24000] perl -pi -e s:foo:foo2: FILE mishandles symlinks?

From:
Dan Collins via RT
Date:
July 5, 2016 22:47
Subject:
[perl #24000] perl -pi -e s:foo:foo2: FILE mishandles symlinks?
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-14758-1467758828-780.24000-15-0@perl.org
Confirmed in blead.

I definitely thing this is a bug that needs to be repaired. At minimum, as suggested, I think a warning would be helpful when the target file is a symlink that is not being followed. After all, this is "like sed", as perl -h says. If you're following the link to read the file, you should also follow the link to write it.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open