develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2016

including List::Util 1.45 with Perl 5.24.1?

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
June 26, 2016 06:41
including List::Util 1.45 with Perl 5.24.1?
Message ID:
576F78FB.1080307@darrenduncan.net
I'm not certain whether the policy for Perl minor releases such as 5.24.1 is as
minimal as possible, just security and bug fixes, or whether they are also
allowed to contain small feature enhancements.  If the latter...

I would like to request that Perl 5.24.1 include List::Util 1.45, which is the
same as the version 1.42 that Perl 5.24.0 bundled except for adding a couple
useful "uniq" functions plus fixing a few bugs.

List::Util 1.45 was released stable to CPAN on 2016 March 24, a month before
Perl 5.24.0 came out.  While I understand using version 1.42 instead may have
been used out of caution since List::Util may have still been in the midst of
developing the "uniq" feature (1.44 came out a week earlier with a different
version), at this point 1.45 has been out for a solid 3 months without any
further changes, and Perl 5.25.1+ includes it, so I think its probably safe for
5.24.1 also.

Note that part of my motivation for raising this is that "uniq" is now the only
remaining function from List::MoreUtils that I use in some CPAN modules (I also
used {any,all,notall} which List::Util gained in time for Perl 5.20.0); once a
"stable" Perl is released with List::Util 1.45+, my module will have no runtime
dependencies aside from the core Perl (for users on the latest).

That aside, I think having this enhancement in core will benefit other users
sooner as well.

And if nothing else, you can still do it for the bug fixes that 1.45 has.

Thank you.

-- Darren Duncan