develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2016

Re: Inefficient stat-ing of files?

From:
Zefram
Date:
June 24, 2016 17:05
Re: Inefficient stat-ing of files?
Message ID:
20160624170511.GH1170@fysh.org
Craig A. Berry wrote:
>I think it's an area worth investigating, i.e., how much time (if any)
>do we spend looking for files we know we'll never find,

None.  We never know that we won't find a file in a high-priority
directory.

>It looks like we could cut the number of stat calls when loading
>modules in about half by removing the checks for .pmc files.

That's a viable suggestion.  It would be a visible behaviour change,
not a pure optimisation, but likely to be quite acceptable.

-zefram