develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2016

Re: podcheck.t doesn't allow =head3

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
June 5, 2016 16:09
Re: podcheck.t doesn't allow =head3
Message ID:
57544EB1.5080301@khwilliamson.com
On 02/27/2014 12:03 AM, bulk88 wrote:
> I am editing /pod/perldelta.pod. I can't add a =head3 to it without
> t/porting/podcheck.t failing.

I deferred looking at this until podcheck was updated.  But it turns out
that was not the problem.

Each pod is indexed by its NAME.  You therefore can't have two pods with
the same name.  On Linux systems, the current perldelta is linked to the
name it will get after the current release is shipped.  They are two
names for the same file, a "shortcut" in Windows terminology.

Somehow on your system here, the files became separated.  Normally when
you are editing one, you are effectively editing both.  But in this
case, you changed just one, and the other (wrongly) did not get updated.
  That means that podcheck saw two pods with the same name, and that is
in fact an error, and it is the error it raised.  It has nothing to do
with head3.  This error would have been raised if you had added anything
to one without the other.  And it is correct.  You have 2 different pods
with the same name, and that is illegal.