develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

Re: [perl #128196] ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ on splliting XS files

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
May 25, 2016 12:29
Re: [perl #128196] ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ on splliting XS files
Message ID:
57459AA6.7070307@gmail.com

On 05/21/2016 04:26 AM, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
> On Fri May 20 11:43:04 2016, jeffreykegler wrote:
>> As of Perl 5.22.0, under the question "How do I make two or more XS
>> files coexist in the same directory?", ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ has 2
>> suggestions.  My issue is with the 2nd of these, which describe an
>> approach that uses statements of the form "boot_Cool__Bar(aTHX_ cv);"
>> in the "BOOT:" section of the XS file.
>>
>> According to http://babkin-cep.blogspot.com/2012/10/splitting-xs-
>> modules-into-multiple-files.html this approach can crash the system if
>> used with 3 or more files.  Sergey's post is carefully argued, and his
>> description of the situation AFAICT correct.
>>
>> Possible fixes:
>>
>> 1.)  Delete the 2nd suggestion, leaving only the suggestion to split
>> the XS file into multiple directories.
>>
>> 2.)  Incorporate Sergey's fix into the FAQ
>>
>> Thanks, jeffrey kegler
> Could we get some of our more XS-fluent contributors to study the Babkin blog post and consider Jeffrey's suggestion?
>
> Thank you very much.

My understanding of XS is relatively limited, but I could follow what
Sergey wrote, and providing this in the FAQ is a reasonable change to me.

That's just my 2 cents. The FAQ is maintained by the CPAN Toolchain
developers, so it would be their decision.