develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

Re: Indirect object syntax

From:
Kent Fredric
Date:
May 25, 2016 02:08
Re: Indirect object syntax
Message ID:
CAATnKFCKFcxQ-=MiEY2VaXbSNQ8wWfyQGxqt2ovEBdvg_voYFQ@mail.gmail.com
On 25 May 2016 at 11:07, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Off-hand,
> I don't see a particular problem with providing it with a "use 5.x"
> pragma statement. I would be happy to see a discussion around the topic
> before any decisions are reached.

I think the simplest thing that would be low contention would be to add an C API
in Perl to disable indirect object notation  ( maybe as an "on/off"
toggle or some kind of lexical effect ).

At least, that way you could iteratively improve it till it had the
right feature set, and indirect.pm could be
adapted to use that on new enough Perl's that had such a feature,
eliminating the perfomance hit.

( I'm thinking something along the lines of how readonly mechanics are
internals, but we have CPAN modules
that poke those internals and turn them on )

Then we can visit how we turn that feature on using native perl logic later.

The idea here really being to make the life better of people who
already are using indirect, and polish
the feature set before we expose it natively.

--
Kent