develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

[perl #128180] Patch for perlbug.PL

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
May 23, 2016 01:17
Subject:
[perl #128180] Patch for perlbug.PL
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-23240-1463966269-251.128180-15-0@perl.org
On Thu May 19 18:11:47 2016, jkeenan wrote:
> On Wed May 18 12:20:33 2016, klaus@soonix.de wrote:
> >
> > This is a bug report for perl from klaus@soonix.de,
> > generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.20.2.

> > This is a patch for perlbug.
> > On perlmonks, someone mentioned wanting to send a bug report and
> > perlbug reported success, but the bug report did not come through,
> > most probably due to un- or misconfigured mailer.
> > A more verbose success message might help here.
> > See attached file
> >

> Speaking for $self:  I think I'd find this error message:
>
> #####
> +my $success_msg = "\nMessage has been handed over to this computer's
> mail system\n";
> #####
>
> ... just as confusing as the one it replaces.  I suspect that most
> people do not use their "computer's mail system" to send mail; they
> use Thunderbird or Outlook or some other mail client.  But, as I know
> from experience, 'perlbug' does *not* hand its message over to one's
> email client.  On the rare occasions when I use 'perlbug' (rather than
> logging into rt.perl.org), I only use it to compose a message which I
> then save and mail via Thunderbird.
>
> So this patch wouldn't really help me -- but that's just my two cents.

I'm not sure it helps either.

The original discussion appears to be at:

http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=1162919

It's possible the correct solution is a patch for #121553, though that's going to be ugly if the mailer is configured for Thunderbird and you're in a non-"-Y" ssh session.

Tony

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open