develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

[perl #128196] ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ on splliting XS files

From:
Jeffrey Kegler
Date:
May 21, 2016 18:59
Subject:
[perl #128196] ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ on splliting XS files
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-23207-1463769784-186.128196-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Jeffrey Kegler
# Please include the string:  [perl #128196]

As of Perl 5.22.0, under the question "How do I make two or more XS files coexist in the same directory?", ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ has 2 suggestions.  My issue is with the 2nd of these, which describe an approach that uses statements of the form "boot_Cool__Bar(aTHX_ cv);" in the "BOOT:" section of the XS file.

According to http://babkin-cep.blogspot.com/2012/10/splitting-xs-modules-into-multiple-files.html this approach can crash the system if used with 3 or more files.  Sergey's post is carefully argued, and his description of the situation AFAICT correct.

Possible fixes:

1.)  Delete the 2nd suggestion, leaving only the suggestion to split the XS file into multiple directories.

2.)  Incorporate Sergey's fix into the FAQ

Thanks, jeffrey kegler