develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

[perl #128196] ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ on splliting XS files

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 21, 2016 02:26
Subject:
[perl #128196] ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ on splliting XS files
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-2908-1463797591-1565.128196-15-0@perl.org
On Fri May 20 11:43:04 2016, jeffreykegler wrote:
> As of Perl 5.22.0, under the question "How do I make two or more XS
> files coexist in the same directory?", ExtUtils::MakeMaker::FAQ has 2
> suggestions.  My issue is with the 2nd of these, which describe an
> approach that uses statements of the form "boot_Cool__Bar(aTHX_ cv);"
> in the "BOOT:" section of the XS file.
>
> According to http://babkin-cep.blogspot.com/2012/10/splitting-xs-
> modules-into-multiple-files.html this approach can crash the system if
> used with 3 or more files.  Sergey's post is carefully argued, and his
> description of the situation AFAICT correct.
>
> Possible fixes:
>
> 1.)  Delete the 2nd suggestion, leaving only the suggestion to split
> the XS file into multiple directories.
>
> 2.)  Incorporate Sergey's fix into the FAQ
>
> Thanks, jeffrey kegler

Could we get some of our more XS-fluent contributors to study the Babkin blog post and consider Jeffrey's suggestion?

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---