develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

[perl #128198] Apparent typo in File::Temp documentation

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 21, 2016 02:20
Subject:
[perl #128198] Apparent typo in File::Temp documentation
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-2908-1463797203-1367.128198-15-0@perl.org
On Fri May 20 13:11:02 2016, rrt wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from rrt@sc3d.org,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.39 running under perl 5.18.2.

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> There seems to be a minor problem with the way the Perl docs are
> generated
> on perl.org (or possibly an error in the POD; I’m no expert).
>
> The following page from perl.org documents File::Temp (as included in
> the
> Perl distribution):
>
> http://perldoc.perl.org/File/Temp.html
>
> Note that it refers to version 0.2304 (which seems to be the latest at
> the
> time of writing).
>
> It contains the apparently erroneous text:
>
> The object isa C and isa C
>
> However, the documentation for the same version of the module on CPAN,
> at:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~dagolden/File-Temp-0.2304/lib/File/Temp.pm
>
> says:
>
> The object isa IO::Handle and isa IO::Seekable

This is not a problem with lib/File/Temp.pm in the Perl 5 core distribution.  I have inspected that file and run both 'perldoc' and 'pod2text' on it and the POD formatting is correct in the areas you cite.

This is a problem with perldoc.perl.org's rendering of that page.  Most of the C<>, F<> and L<> links appear to be incorrect.  The Perl 5 Porters do not maintain perldoc.perl.org, so we can't fix the problem.  I recommend you contact Jon Allen, who is listed as the site maintainer down near the bottom of the web page.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---