develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

Re: [perl #125106] Why are threads discouraged?

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
May 14, 2016 11:31
Re: [perl #125106] Why are threads discouraged?
Message ID:
20160514123126.12ce1efe@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Wed, 11 May 2016 19:54:37 +0200
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree this is a confusing description.
>
> I also like Rocco's comments on describing *why* something is the way
> it is, even if briefly. I found an example in the thread Rocco
> linked[1], by Aristotle, on how to explain things briefly and clearly:
>
> "complex data structures are hard to share properly"
>
> The quote is out of context and does not constitute as the patch I
> would envision, but it's an example of how to describe something
> complicated succinctly. Perhaps we can form a patch describing what
> we mean by "discouraged". Having context might excuse us from trying
> to find a better term for this than "discouraged".
>
> [1] Thanks, Rocco!

If we have some better wording I could put it into perlconcurrency.pod
as well...

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk