develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2016

Re: perl v5.24.0 is now available!

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
May 9, 2016 22:20
Re: perl v5.24.0 is now available!
Message ID:
20160509222005.17708.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 05/09/2016 07:39 AM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
>    As I sit here, and oftentimes, I wish
>    I could be monarch of a desert land
>    I could devote and dedicate forever
>    To the truths we keep coming back and back to.
>    So desert it would have to be, so walled
>    By mountain ranges half in summer snow,
>    No one would covet it or think it worth
>    The pains of conquering to force change on.
>    Scattered oases where men dwelt, but mostly
>    Sand dunes held loosely in tamarisk
>    Blown over and over themselves in idleness.
>    Sand grains should sugar in the natal dew
>    The babe born to the desert, the sand storm
>    Retard mid-waste my cowering caravans—
>
>    “There are bees in this wall.” He struck the clapboards,
>    Fierce heads looked out; small bodies pivoted.
>    We rose to go. Sunset blazed on the windows.
>
>    -- Robert Frost, the Black Cottage
>
> We are pleased to announce perl v5.24.0, the first stable release of
> version 24 of Perl 5.
>
> You will soon be able to download Perl v5.24.0 from your favorite CPAN
> mirror or find it at:

[snip]

> Perl 5.24.0 represents approximately 11 months of development since Perl
> 5.22.0 and contains approximately 360,000 lines of changes across 1,800
> files from 77 authors.

Wow, I didn't actually expect this to come so early in the month! rjbs++

> It has been my great pleasure to contribute to the development of Perl
> for the past five major releases.  This will be my final major release.
> Thank you, everyone who has contributed to the project or offered kind
> words of support.  They have been appreciated perhaps more than has been
> adequately communicated.
>
> Beginning with perl v5.25.1, Sawyer X will be the new reigning pumpking.
> Please be as kind to him as you have to me!

Onward, sawyer!