develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2016

Perl 5.22.2 is now available!

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
April 29, 2016 22:19
Subject:
Perl 5.22.2 is now available!
Message ID:
CADED=K4ZEetQqJTwMjwZkQ7D+nNqM9YhQRym8+4+9HTJf+fxKQ@mail.gmail.com
A silence; and then: 'If, in just two minutes' time by my watch--and a
splendid watch it is--you have not turned the scorpion, mademoiselle, I
shall turn the grasshopper... and the grasshopper, remember, _leaps
straight up into the air!_'
The silence that ensued was terrifying, worse than any we had
experienced before.  I knew that when Erik spoke with that quiet,
gentle, slightly weary voice, it meant that he had reached the end of
his tether: that he was capable of the most abominable crimes or the
most selfless devotion; that the slightest irritation might unleash a
storm.
Realizing that our fate was out of our hands, the Viscount fell to his
knees and prayed.  As for me, I pressed both hands to my chest, for my
heart was pounding so fiercely that I thought it would burst.  We were
intensely aware of the excruciating dilemma Christine Daaé faced in
those final seconds.  We understood why she hesitated to turn the
scorpion.  What if the scorpion, rather than the grasshopper, were to
set off the explosion?  What if Erik was simply intent on destroying
everything, regardless?
At last he spoke: 'The two minutes are up,' he said in a soft, angelic
voice.  'Goodbye, mademoiselle.  Off you go, little grasshopper!'

    -- Gaston Leroux, trans. Mireille Ribière,
       "The Phantom of the Opera"

We are delighted to announce version 22.2, the second maintenance
release of version 22 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.22.2 from your favourite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

  https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.22.2/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  2b84a711694be9a10e558c38c9aa43d86c7329a9  perl-5.22.2.tar.gz
  e2f465446dcd45a7fa3da696037f9ebe73e78e55  perl-5.22.2.tar.bz2
  43b599def873413012fc8bcfd0a64bbce40b4ed2  perl-5.22.2.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.22.2 represents approximately 5 months of development since Perl
5.22.1 and contains approximately 3,000 lines of changes across 110
files from 24 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 1,500 lines of changes to 52 .pm, .t, .c and .h
files.

Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers.  The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.22.2:

Aaron Crane, Abigail, Andreas König, Aristotle Pagaltzis, Chris
'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, David
Golden, David Mitchell, H.Merijn Brand, James E Keenan, Jarkko
Hietaniemi, Karen Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Matthew Horsfall, Niko
Tyni, Ricardo Signes, Sawyer X, Stevan Little, Steve Hay, Todd Rinaldo,
Tony Cook, Vladimir Timofeev, Yves Orton.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history.  In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core.  We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the F<AUTHORS> file in the Perl source distribution.

The next major stable release of Perl 5, version 24.0, should appear in
May 2016, with version 25.0 released around the same time.

Steve Hay