develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2016

[perl #127687] Misuse of "quote" in place of "escape" indocumentation

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
April 21, 2016 01:42
Subject:
[perl #127687] Misuse of "quote" in place of "escape" indocumentation
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-12301-1461202928-265.127687-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Mar 15 17:24:58 2016, tonyc wrote:

> > http://stackoverflow.com/a/35918358/622310
> >
> > The specific context id the perlre POD, but there may well be other
> > examples elsewhere in the documentation
> >
> > I submit that using "quoting" when you mean "escaping" is a useless
> > synonym, and ultimately confusing when talking about character
> > strings. If
> > I am asked to ôquote '['ö do I mean ô"["ö or ô\[ö?
> >
> > The OP who wrote the item referenced above claimed that the two are
> > interchangeable and referred to `perlre` in his defence.
> > Unfortunately
> > he
> > is right, and we also have the \Q construction ù presumably short for
> > "quote" ù and the `quotemeta` function as legacies to deal with
>
> "quote" semms to me to be the correct terminology.

Tony, that suggests to me that you do not favor any documentation changes here.

If so, can we close this ticket?

> We quote text to avoid any special meaning for that text, eg:
>
> $x = exit;
>
> vs
>
> $x = "exit"
>
> Emacs uses the quote-next operator to insert the next character typed
> literally.
>
> Tony

Thank you very much.

--