develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2016

[Win32] 5.24.0-RC1 specifies that the GNU Make executable is named'gmake.exe'

From:
sisyphus1
Date:
April 14, 2016 12:59
Subject:
[Win32] 5.24.0-RC1 specifies that the GNU Make executable is named'gmake.exe'
Message ID:
4C25837B674D485494152D3370E41C49@OwnerPC311012
Hi,

Just something I've noticed in relation to Windows builds of perl-5.24.0-RC1
using win32/GNUmakefile.

Up to (and including) 5.23.7 the GNUmakefile would accommodate either
'make.exe' or 'gmake.exe' as the GNU Make utility.
(In fact, I don't think it really mattered what the GNU Make utility was
called - I used to be able to build perl with mingw.org's
'mingw32-make.exe', which as also GNU Make by a different name.)

However, when it comes to building perl-5.24.0-RC1, the GNUmakefile decrees
that the GNU Make utility be the arcane 'gmake'. Having a GNU Make
executable named 'make.exe' in the PATH is no longer good enough.
I haven't properly checked, but it seems this change occurred with the
release of 5.23.8, and that I didn't notice it courtesy of having a
Strawberry Perl 'gmake.exe' in my PATH.

Is this what we want ?
It's *not* what I want, though it's (thankfully) very easy to work around.

I thought the original aim was to be able to use GNU Make (irrespective of
what its name was) but now I discover that an out-of-the-box build requires
that the GNU Make utility be named 'gmake'.
For me, the beauty of being able to have 'make'exe' as the Make utility was
that I wouldn't have to ask myself "Am I on *nix or Windows ?" as they would
all be using a Make utility of the same name.
But if one OS is to use 'make' and the other 'gmake', then the question
still needs to be asked, and still needs to be answered correctly.

Is it worth bothering about ?

Cheers,
Rob