develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2016

Re: [perl #116965] git commit hook to prevent changes on left ofmerge

From:
Jim Cromie
Date:
March 30, 2016 21:12
Re: [perl #116965] git commit hook to prevent changes on left ofmerge
Message ID:
CAJfuBxyykYh2sFEUBcF0bbVMQDDLyghDxcH7dinLb_OCPiGrhg@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>
wrote:

> * Dennis Kaarsemaker <dennis@kaarsemaker.net> [2016-01-29T15:35:33]
> > >  unless --force is given.
> >
> > But this is impossible in an update hook I believe. Update hooks do not
> > see that --force was given. For commit hooks --no-verify can be used,
> > but commit hooks are easy to forget in fresh clones, so I'd prefer
> > something that runs when pushing.
>
> Yeah, commit hooks are no good here for exactly the reason you suggest.
>
> I think that --force is something we can live without.  Right?
>
> That is:  why would we need to be able to have this kind of merge?  I
> suspect
> never.  If it turns out we do, a committers can remove or temporarily
> disable
> the hook.
>
> So, may as well move foward.  Rob N. supplied a likely-looking hook.
> spazm's
> work also looks plausible, although I think it would need some tweaking to
> not
> worry about HEAD.
>
> Anybody else?

I believe blead is currently lacking a

  make regen && commit -m fixup-after-3879c54d uconfig.h

whatever commit-hook is devised,
catching need for make regen would seem a good use-case.

is it time for make regen to be a dependency of all ?
a commit hook seems slightly less intrusive.