develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2016

Re: inline failing

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
March 26, 2016 16:32
Re: inline failing
Message ID:
56F6B96E.9000705@khwilliamson.com
On 03/23/2016 09:20 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:10:56PM -0700, Karl Williamson wrote:
>> FYI
>>
>> Brian Fraser pointed out to me that according to the gcc docs, an inlined
>> function's definition must come before it is called.  It turns out that
>> -Winlining is supposed to tell you of all the failures.
>>
>> I tried this and got many messages.  The most common was like this
>> perl.c: In function ‘Perl_call_sv’:
>> inline.h:66: warning: inlining failed in call to ‘S_SvREFCNT_dec’: call is
>> unlikely and code size would grow
>> perl.c:2725: warning: called from here
>>
>> There were 244 of these.  All the messages were of this type.  Things that I
>> thought would raise a message (because of ordering) didn't.
>
> I just tried blead with Accflags=-Winline, gcc  5.3.1, and saw no
> warnings. Does this mean there's no such issue any more?

I tried it myself with gcc 4.9.3, and also didn't see anything.  So, I
think we should assume the issue is gone.