develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2016

Re: inline failing

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 23, 2016 15:21
Re: inline failing
Message ID:
20160323152058.GU29332@iabyn.com
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:10:56PM -0700, Karl Williamson wrote:
> FYI
>
> Brian Fraser pointed out to me that according to the gcc docs, an inlined
> function's definition must come before it is called.  It turns out that
> -Winlining is supposed to tell you of all the failures.
>
> I tried this and got many messages.  The most common was like this
> perl.c: In function ‘Perl_call_sv’:
> inline.h:66: warning: inlining failed in call to ‘S_SvREFCNT_dec’: call is
> unlikely and code size would grow
> perl.c:2725: warning: called from here
>
> There were 244 of these.  All the messages were of this type.  Things that I
> thought would raise a message (because of ordering) didn't.

I just tried blead with Accflags=-Winline, gcc  5.3.1, and saw no
warnings. Does this mean there's no such issue any more?

--
The warp engines start playing up a bit, but seem to sort themselves out
after a while without any intervention from boy genius Wesley Crusher.