develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2016

build system: remove the 'u' from 'ar rcu'?

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 11, 2016 14:21
build system: remove the 'u' from 'ar rcu'?
Message ID:
20160311142110.GW29332@iabyn.com
The are a few places in Makefile.SH which do (approximately):

    rm $libfile
    ar rcu $libfile *.o

The 'u' in 'rcu' seems redundant since the old lib file is always deleted
just before being recreated, and more to the point it generating warnings
on recent Linux builds:

    /bin/ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U')

This is because the 'u' modifier updates the archive, i.e. only replaces
the objects which are newer in an existing archive. On my linux system,
ar by default operates in 'deterministic' mode, which means that it
doesn't add timestamps etc (so that repeated builds will give identical
binaries). In this mode 'u' can't work, hence the warning.

I propose that we just do s/rcu/rc/g on Makefile.SH.

--
"Procrastination grows to fill the available time"
    -- Mitchell's corollary to Parkinson's Law