develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2016

Re: Putting Winsock errors into $^E

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
February 24, 2016 08:16
Re: Putting Winsock errors into $^E
Message ID:
CADED=K4AU9k5FiZ79=r_kzgisPu4EzFm+kaYD4gWT0VsmU5ayw@mail.gmail.com
On 23 February 2016 at 23:10, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/17/2016 09:59 AM, Steve Hay via perl5-porters wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I would like to commit this before the "user-visible changes freeze"
>> on 20th, and will do so if no objections are raised. I will, of
>> course, add some appropriate documentation (in perldelta and
>> elsewhere) too.
>
> As far as I can tell (since I went over all the commits and perldelta),
> this wasn't introduced before the release on the 20th.
>
> If I wasn't pressed for time for $personal_reasons and kept a better eye
> on it, I would have asked about this before the release. At least I
> should have. Sorry about that.
>
> I assume that now, because of the user-visible changes freeze, it is not
> possible to make this change before 5.24, but I know there are
> exceptions. Should this be one of them?

It isn't committed yet, no. I also asked rjbs off-list whether it was
ok to go ahead since nobody had replied either way, but I haven't
heard back yet. That's really my fault for leaving it too late in the
day before asking, although I had my reasons for not feeling inclined
to return to that thread for nearly a year... I would like to think
that an exception can be made for this - it's only a small change to
add the setting of $^E, without affecting the existing setting of $!
at all.