Re: [perl #127060] remove deprecated *glob{FILEHANDLE}

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
December 28, 2015 22:13
Re: [perl #127060] remove deprecated *glob{FILEHANDLE}
Message ID:
20151228221327.GA15469@debian
* Abigail via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2015-12-28T17:05:25]
> There's also a fourth option:
>
>   4)  drop the warning, and leave it working.
>
> If it was intended to be deprecated almost 20 years ago, and was
> deprecated for more than 14 years, then what's the point? Whatever
> itch was annoying people back then doesn't seem to require much
> scratching nowadays.

Yeah, and I think this is a pretty reasonable option.  I meant to include it,
which is why I started with "close out" deprecations -- I just don't want them
hanging open forever.

*glob{FILEHANDLE} irritates me, but only when I notice that it's there.  Is
there some benefit to getting rid of it?  "It helps avoid confusion" might be
true in some sense, but it's undercut by the confusion that will be introduced
by existing working code failing.

> IMO, if something is deprecated, there should be a date attached.
> By that date, either the feature is really gone (and hence, the benefit
> of deprecating it can be reaped), or the feature should be undeprecated
> again (that is, supported again).

I agree, generally.  Even if there is no date, it should be revisited
regularly.  "my variable in false conditional" is an example where the
deprecation seems likely to linger intentionally.

> If p5p doesn't take deprecation warnings seriously, why should users?

Agreed, and that's why I brought this up!

--
rjbs