From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
December 24, 2015 17:10
20151224171019.GA18996@cancer.codesimply.com
* Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> [2015-12-24T10:39:27]
> * Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> [2015-12-24T02:43:52]
> > * Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> [2015-12-22 01:15]:
> > > CON3: Putting this in Exporter could lead to subtle prereq action at
> > > a distance.
> > >
> > > I'm going to put CON3 aside. If that's the only objection left, in the
> > > end, it's not enough for me.
> >
> > Well that is a disappointment.
> >
> > It is of course a disappointment in that breaking CPAN absolutely should
> > qualify as enough of a contra, all by itself.
>
> "breaking CPAN absolutely" is really not the stakes here, and I resent the
> implication that it is.

I have re-read your message, and now I think you meant "absolutely should" and
not "breaking absolutely."  If that is the case, I am not so bothered.

Nonetheless, I certainly did consider the objection that there can be
confusion, here.  "This function only works at certain versions, the
requirement for which is not necessarily stated in the calling code" is, in
fact, part of the API, and I consider it as such.  To say that I'm putting
aside one thing for the sake of interface is untrue.  Both the topics (whether
to simply provide the feature, and what the arguments it uses look like) are
questions of interface.

--
rjbs