From:
demerphq
Date:
December 20, 2015 01:58
CANgJU+WRrkX3EznvX-QOkKm1i=FRhNzSNm4aSaf7OZHSErFQQA@mail.gmail.com
On 20 December 2015 at 01:41, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
> * demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> [2015-12-20 01:05]:
>> And I feel that the fact there are multiple modules on CPAN that add
>> that feature should be considered conclusive evidence that there is
>> a demand for the feature that core is not filling.
>
> But it might instead merely be evidence that no single implementation
> is going to make everyone happy, in which case core never will fill
> that demand, regardless of what gets added.

It might yes, but I dont think its as likely as the alternative I
stated. I think that this kind of thing happens because the core
module is missing a useful feature people want, and because of it they
run wild (without really thinking through the bigger picture
consequences) creating a totally new thing at the same time[1]. I
mean, if you are going to write a new Exporter with the missing
semantics, you might as well go whole hog and scratch the other itches
you might have ignored if it werent for the fact that you are writing
an Exporter replacement *anyway*.

cheers,
Yves
[1] And again, as I stated in another email, I believe our community
is *strongly* biased towards modules and CPAN. And thus it does not
surprise me that people who need a feature that really should be
offered in core end up writing a brand new module for it. After all,
writing modules is "cool" and a great way to impress ones friends and
colleagues. And it is way easier than getting a patch into core, as
this thread shows.