From:
David Golden
Date:
December 19, 2015 02:10
CAOeq1c8ma=KMPk7p8h1v0m8qnD8-ZTxjPFoP5Osrbbuo9sVQUw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 6:39 PM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Until there is a compelling case for why it should go into core, I oppose
> > adding it.
>
> I think that is sad.

> I think that is entirely the wrong approach to problems like this.

Perhaps I can restate it in terms you won't find sad.

I don't think we should ever approach core additions with an argument like
this:  "I have great idea X, anyone object?"

I think additions should at least be approached like this:  "I have great
idea X.  I think it should go into core because Y and Z.  Do people agree?"

Even better: "I have great idea X.  The benefits are Y and Z.  The
downsides are P and Q.  On balance, I think that it would be a good
addition to core.  Do people agree?  Have I missed anything?"

This doesn't mean we shouldn't ever add to core.  It means that we should
have a case that is better than "no one said no".

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> Twitter/IRC/Github: @xdg