From:
demerphq
Date:
December 18, 2015 23:59
CANgJU+V8FsECn=QmmraH138gLFPRFxLXiTghrXpx8LMrW3PSOw@mail.gmail.com
On 19 December 2015 at 00:39, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 December 2015 at 23:54, David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Chad Granum <exodist7@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> 1) Would anyone be opposed to having this functionality added? (and why?)
>>

>> I think you should answer the opposite question first.  Why does this
>> behavior need to be in core when there are already alternatives on CPAN?
>> Note, I consider "so people can have fewer dependencies" uncompelling on its
>> own as there are many things that could go into core on that basis that we
>> haven't and wouldn't put into core.
>>
>> Until there is a compelling case for why it should go into core, I oppose
>> adding it.
>
> I think that is sad. Simply because code exists on CPAN doesnt mean
> that our core modules shouldnt do useful things.
>
> We are talking about what, 6 lines of code.
>
> So you are saying that because there are various cpan modules that do
> similar things (which proves demand IMO), that we should not add those
> 5 lines of code to make Exporter do them as well.
>
> That doesn't make sense to me, and IMO is not in the best interests of Perl.
>
> By that logic the fact that PCRE supported named captures, and Perl
> can use PCRE we should not have added named captures to Perl.
>
> I think that is entirely the wrong approach to problems like this.

This subject get my goat enough that I wanted to add a point.

The logical extension of the "if its on CPAN it can't go into core"
argument is that Perl in the long run becomes a hollowed out shell
that does nothing but load CPAN modules.

I think that is a recipe for the accelerated death of our community
and language.

Yves