From:
demerphq
Date:
December 18, 2015 23:39
CANgJU+VA9LnT0Dr=nzFSQnhgd5LEw64ckc4-3bKLfMY-vwOGTQ@mail.gmail.com
On 18 December 2015 at 23:54, David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Chad Granum <exodist7@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> 1) Would anyone be opposed to having this functionality added? (and why?)
>

> I think you should answer the opposite question first.  Why does this
> behavior need to be in core when there are already alternatives on CPAN?
> Note, I consider "so people can have fewer dependencies" uncompelling on its
> own as there are many things that could go into core on that basis that we
> haven't and wouldn't put into core.
>
> Until there is a compelling case for why it should go into core, I oppose
> adding it.

I think that is sad. Simply because code exists on CPAN doesnt mean
that our core modules shouldnt do useful things.

We are talking about what, 6 lines of code.

So you are saying that because there are various cpan modules that do
similar things (which proves demand IMO), that we should not add those
5 lines of code to make Exporter do them as well.

That doesn't make sense to me, and IMO is not in the best interests of Perl.

By that logic the fact that PCRE supported named captures, and Perl
can use PCRE we should not have added named captures to Perl.

I think that is entirely the wrong approach to problems like this.

Yves

Yves