From:
David Golden
Date:
December 18, 2015 22:55
CAOeq1c8q30H=DfWhOZSvrxwR=r=orDD49NCMWu8YNs1=hA1Y5w@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Chad Granum <exodist7@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Would anyone be opposed to having this functionality added? (and why?)

I think you should answer the opposite question first.  Why does this
behavior need to be in core when there are already alternatives on CPAN?
Note, I consider "so people can have fewer dependencies" uncompelling on
its own as there are many things that could go into core on that basis that
we haven't and wouldn't put into core.

Until there is a compelling case for why it should go into core, I oppose
adding it.

> 3) Are there any good technical reasons not to do this?

Having a module that depends on a newer version of Exporter will require
users of Perls before v5.24 to install Exporter from CPAN instead of
relying on their existing core Exporter.  Thus, this will not minimize
dependencies in general until the general Perl using population switches to
v5.24 or later.  It may in practice make things worse – growing
dependencies – as people may be more open to depending on a newer version
of a core module than they would be about depending on Sub::Exporter or
other CPAN module.

Regards,
David

--