From:
demerphq
Date:
December 18, 2015 01:33
CANgJU+V==Yb7BEGz12ayUuBn5UJ+=kvzwkKbGU9SJ=opK4Bgzw@mail.gmail.com
On 18 December 2015 at 02:15, Lukas Mai <plokinom@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 18.12.2015 um 01:39 schrieb demerphq:
>>
>> On 18 December 2015 at 00:14, Chad Granum <exodist7@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> new patch

>> I have one concern with the patch. It uses ref($foo) eq "HASH".
>>
>> I think it should import reftype() from Scalar::Util and use reftype()
>> instead.
>>
>> Or possibly be switched to use UNIVERSAL::isa($foo,"HASH").
>>
>> IOW, what happens if $foo is blessed?
>

> reftype is for deliberately breaking encapsulation of objects.

That is one view, but one I consider unperlish.

If someone wants to pass you a blessed hashref where you ask for a
hashref why should you care? Its their code. Its their encapsulation
that is being violated, or not. IMO its not a libraries job to decide
whether such things are ok or not.

How does the line go? "Perl would prefer you dont enter its living
room without permission, but it isnt going to stand at the door with a
shotgun to make sure you dont."

cheers,
Yves