develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2015

Re: RFC: what to do about bitwise string operators (related to [perl#63574])

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
November 19, 2015 03:38
Re: RFC: what to do about bitwise string operators (related to [perl#63574])
Message ID:
20151119033755.GC15294@cancer.codesimply.com
* Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> [2015-11-16T21:57:35]
> I still don't think [operating bitwise on codepoints in character strings] is
> useful in general.  Code points are not generally assigned where the
> relationship between them is meaningful in bit operations ways.

Agreed.  Although there are a few use cases that were pointed out, I think we
need to decide what the behavior of &. on strings is and be consistent.  I
still think the correct thing to do is assert that the arguments to &. are
treated as, and must plausibly be, byte strings.

It shouldn't matter whether the string is upgraded or not, as it's too easy to
end up with bytes in an upgraded string or codepoints in a downgraded string.
No Unicode Bug!

--
rjbs